Research Interests Financial Intermediation. Macro Finance. Corporate Finance. Household Finance.
- Ph.D. in Finance, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 2005 -- Dec 2010. Committee: Franklin Allen (Co-Chair), Joao Gomes, Craig MacKinlay, David Musto (Chair) and David Scharfstein.
- M.S. in Electrical Engg. and Comp. Sc., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), 2001 -- 2003.
- B.Tech. in Comp. Sc. and Engg., Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati, 1997 -- 2001. (President of India Gold Medalist.)
- Managing Performance Signals Through Delay: Evidence from Venture Capital, with Michael Ewens Management Science, forthcoming. [pdf]
- The Real Effects of Financial (Dis)integration: A Multi-Country Equilibrium Analysis of Europe, with Rong Hai, Hans Holter, and Serhiy Stepanchuk Journal of Monetary Economics, Jan 2017. [pdf]
- Income Inequality, Tax Policy, and Economic Growth, with Siddhartha Biswas and Rong Hai Economic Journal, accepted, 2016. [pdf]
- Marriage Stability, Taxation and Aggregate Labor Supply in the U.S. vs. Europe, with Hans Holter and Serhiy Stepanchuk Journal of Monetary Economics, May 2015. (Lead Article) [pdf]
- Does Shareholder Coordination Matter? Evidence from Private Placements, with Nickolay Gantchev Journal of Financial Economics, April 2013. [pdf]
- Douglas D. Evanoff Best Paper Award, The Chicago Financial Institutions Conference 2016.
- Marshall Blume Award in Financial Research, First Prize, The Wharton School 2013.
- Shmuel Kandel Award (Outstanding Ph.D. Student in Financial Economics), Utah Winter Finance 2010.
- President of India Gold Medal (for the highest GPA among all graduating students), IIT Guwahati 2001.
- 3rd Place at MIT IDEAS Competition, 2001.
- National Talent Scholar (500 students nationwide), India, 1995.
- Housing Price Booms and Crowding-Out Effects in Bank Lending, with Itay Goldstein and Andrew MacKinlay [Nov 2016] [pdf]
- Award: Marshall Blume Prize in Financial Research, The Wharton School, 2013.
- The Trust Alternative, with Alessio Saretto and Malcolm Wardlaw [Dec 2016] [pdf]
- Monetary Stimulus and Bank Lending, with Itay Goldstein and Andrew MacKinlay [Oct 2016] [pdf]
- Award: Best Paper, The Chicago Financial Institutions Conference 2016.
- CAPM, Factors, and Sectors: Do Investors Utilize Available Information?, with Alok Kumar, Tobias Muhlhofer and Ravi Sastry [Jan 2017] [pdf]
- Credit Default Swaps and Moral Hazard in Bank Lending, with Sudheer Chava and Rohan Ganduri [Aug 2015] [pdf]
- A Theory of Reverse Asset Substitution, with Franklin Allen [July 2015]
- Does Source of Capital Affect Investment and Firm Value? Revision requested by the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
- Awards: Shmuel Kandel Award (Outstanding Ph.D. Student in Financial Economics), Utah Winter Finance 2010, Morgan Stanley Research Award, Wharton Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research 2009.